So with spring upon us, its a great time to de-clutter and refresh your make up bag. Out with the old in with the new!
|Left: Eyeshadow - 18 Months expiry once opened|
Middle: Toner - 24 Months expiry once opened
Right: Nail Polish remover - 30 months expiry once expiry
- When used daily most foundations will run out before they expire. I normally go through bottle of my MAC Studio fix foundation once every 3 months. So it always runs out before it expires.
- I keep the lid and clean of excess product with a makeup remover wipe , so that it doesn't harbor germs.
- If you occasionally use your foundation, replace after 18 months.
- You should replace your mascara every 1-2 months if you use it daily . If you use sporadically use, throw out once it starts to dry up.
- The more mascara is exposed to air, the faster it will dry so secure top after every use.
- Most mascara have a guide line expiry date of 6-12 months.
- I hate messy lipsticks containers, so i keep the tube and applicator free of excess pigment with frequent wipe downs (using a cleansing wipe).
- For a more throughout cleansing of my lipsticks spritz alcohol on the top of lipstick and then scrape top layer off on paper towel, removing bacteria while refreshing the pigment.
- The expiry date of lipsticks is usually 2-3 years.
- Eye, face and cheek powders can be used for years, however the pigment begins to fade with age.
- Powders can also dry up due to exposure and become difficult to blend on skin.
- Throw out and replace after 12-18 months.
- Frequent sharpening removes any bacteria from the pencil tip, but be sure that the sharpener is kept clean.
- If the sharper is proving hard to clean soak it in hot water then remove products.
- Most eye and lip pencils have an expiry date of 3 months.
- Clean the mirror (or top lid) of container and any borders between sections with cotton bud. This removes bacteria.
Tools and Brushes.
- Wipe away left over mascara from eyelash curler or soak in hot water to remove dried-on product – this stops the curler from pulling out your lashes when curling.
- I usually wash my brushes after every use as oil and bacteria get trapped in the brushes bristles , these can cause breakouts.
- I wash my brushes using a gentle shampoo such a Johnson baby shampoo, to remove the product from the brush and using a antiseptic to cleanse the brush such as MAC’s brush cleanser.
- Makeup sponges are disposable tools, which also harbor bacteria and oil if not washed frequently. I wash after every use and throw out within 1 month, or when the sponge begins to tear.
Also whilst your cleaning out your makeup bag consider your skincare products:
- Facial Cleansers & Moisturizers expire after 6 months
- Facial Toners expire after 1 year
- Natural Cosmetics expire after 6 months
I hope this was useful!